Having been in the workplace for over a decade, I constantly think about what is important to me in my career, both now and in the future. While I have always been confident in my decisions, only recently have I become comfortable with not knowing what I want to be when I grow up.
I decided it was time for some serious reflection around what my core principles are behind my career path so I feel fulfilled. This is not meant to be preachy but to hold myself accountable to what I believe drives success and balance across my career, personal growth and happiness.
- Think for yourself. Always have a POV, a recommendation. Back it up with solid reasoning. This earns us respect, making us smarter in our work and more confident.
- Cut the cord. Carve out time regularly to completely disconnect from work obligations. This preserves our sanity and overall health and makes us better contributors to our teams.
- Check baggage at the door. Bring just enough emotion into the workplace to put genuine passion into your work. Set drama aside. Don’t seek it, don’t get involved in it. This includes gossip.
- Treat everyone equally. Treat people with respect. Relationships are everything. We never know when a seemingly minor relationship might change our lives.
- Push yourself. Don’t ever get complacent. Constantly seek new challenges, or we’ll rot on the inside. New challenges make us better, inspired people.